VALISblog

Vast Active Library and Information Science blog. From a recent library science graduate in Wellington, New Zealand. A focus on reference and current awareness tools and issues, especially free, web-based resources.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Wednesday, April 16, 2003
Information overload  
 
So, I'm writing an essay on the problems caused by information overload in the pre-electronic era, and whether or not information technology has ameliorated those problems. My first search for relevant references returns approx 500 hits, in full-text. Overloaded with information about information overload? Does that count as irony?

(As part of this research I read Craig Brod's Technostress (1984). Brod argues that excessive use of computers is making people anti-social, impatient of imperfection, and generally tired and introverted, preferring to interact with machines. And this was years before the 'net went mainstream. It made me pause for a few minutes, and re-think whether I really needed to update my P2 and hook up broadband. For a few minutes, anyway.)


|


Comments: Post a Comment