VALISblog

Vast Active Library and Information Science blog. From a recent library science graduate in Wellington, New Zealand. A focus on reference and current awareness tools and issues, especially free, web-based resources.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Monday, August 25, 2003
(personal) Travels, part 4  
 
So next morning we have to get up early and get running, because young Cory still lives at home and her parents are coming back, and explaining to her Episcopalian parents that "this is Simon, he's my friend from New Zealand that I met on the internet" was likely to lead to all sorts of weirdness and problems. So we go for breakfast, and then she drops me at the station so I can head back to New York and catch up with Chrissie and Luke (yet more internet people). This eventually accomplished, we go back to their place in Conneticut, hang out for a while before heading to a party that their friends are DJing at.

The party turns out to be a good hour's drive from their house, and when we get there, to be a college party - Chrissie and Luke are probably 3-4 years older than most of the others there, and I'm 6 or 7 years older than that. So I feel a bit out of place. Music is good, less good are frat-boy types calling each other 'faggot' (as a joke ha ha). And then the party gets broken up (I feel like I'm relieving my childhood) by the college authorities. So we go down to the car park to wait around for a while, then back to the party - which ends up being 5 or 6 of us, plus a couple of strangers, sitting in a bedroom - and everyone from the house seemingly having disappeared. All good fun - we manage to get home about 8am after getting lost on the way back.

The rest of the week is spent in New York. I catch up with some of my real life friends - Paul, Antony and Amy (my cousin) who all live in New York or the region. Great to see them all, they all seem to be doing well, although there's a bit of a shadow over the meetup when we hear the news from Iraq - Paul works for the UN and knows several of the people killed there - Sergio was his boss at one point. Very, very sad.

Cory comes down from New Jersey and stays with me for most of the week. Which is, well, it's very very good. Unfortunately we both know that nothing much can come of it - we're both studying, and I don't think either of us would really give that up, if it came down to it. We also discussed things very maturely and decided we weren't going to make any promises. So of course since I got back we've done nothing but scheme of different ways to carry on the affair (relationship? Sounds like the wrong word). Which will all end in tears. No doubt. But it was worth it, anyway.

In between all this I manage to check out the Met, the Guggenheim, and wander round the East Village, Williamsburg, and Greenwich Village, as well as strolling Central Park. So all is good. And I nearly got inside CBGB's - except it was closed by the time we found it. Oh well.


|


Comments: Post a Comment