VALISblog

Vast Active Library and Information Science blog. From a recent library science graduate in Wellington, New Zealand. A focus on reference and current awareness tools and issues, especially free, web-based resources.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Friday, October 24, 2003
(reading) The SIBL Project: songs inspired by literature  
 
This is a great idea. A database of songs that have been inspired by novels, poetry, short stories. The idea being to use people's interest in the songs to inspire them to read the originals. From my own experience, I'd say this could work - I read one of the plays on the list (Shelagh Delaney's A Taste of Honey purely because Morrissey had mentioned it repeatedly in interviews.

Definitely a few references in there that I hadn't picked up on (Radiohead's My Iron Lung inspired by one of my favourite books, Thomas Pynchon's The Crying of Lot 49 (stop reading this, and go buy/borrow or steal that book. Now. Trust me). There's also a lot that they've missed (plenty more Smiths songs, and the Manic Street Preachers should probably be mentioned a few times). Soon as I can get to my CD collection, I'm submitting them a list of suggestions.


|


Comments: Post a Comment