VALISblog

Vast Active Library and Information Science blog. From a recent library science graduate in Wellington, New Zealand. A focus on reference and current awareness tools and issues, especially free, web-based resources.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Saturday, June 26, 2004
How to treat P2P as a friend, not an enemy  
 
As I'm typing this I note that Wilco's A Ghost is Born is currently the number one selling Music CD on Amazon. This is in spite of the fact that the album's been available on P2P for a long time (I've had it for weeks - I just ordered the CD as well) or via their website.

Wow! Band supports filetrading. Band sells progressively more albums.

And I need to mention JustAFan here again. It's a site set up by fans of Wilco, as a means of showing thanks to the band for its support of filesharing and for trusting its fans by making material available online prior to official release. The organisers are taking donations for Doctors Without Borders (Medicins Sans Frontiers) as a means of demonstrating their thanks to Wilco (Wilco were involved in choosing the specific charity). When I tried to donate a few weeks ago, their PayPal account was playing up, so I made a direct donation to MSF. Worthy cause, and a great way of showing support to a forward-thinking group of musicians. (Who also make incredible music).


|