VALISblog

Vast Active Library and Information Science blog. From a recent library science graduate in Wellington, New Zealand. A focus on reference and current awareness tools and issues, especially free, web-based resources.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Tuesday, October 05, 2004
"Why I am not going to hire you"  
 
A manager explains to new librarians the reason they aren't getting the job. Much of which seems fairly obvious. But I'm making a note of it to remind myself things that I need to do, next time I'm looking for work.

Having just interviewed a couple of people to replace myself in my current position, this one struck me:

[quote] You at no point could show any knowledge or curiosity about important topics affecting the library world. [/quote]

We asked both applicants what they knew about the organisation. One: "Nothing. Except what I know from having worked at [organisation that was the predecessor of the predecessor of this organisation, nearly 30 years ago]".
The other: "Well, I've heard about it in the news from my work with [news organisation]. I've seen ads for [brand name] of course. I looked at your website and I see that you...."

Guess which one got the job?

Link via Confessions of a Mad Librarian (also on Librarian.net).


|