VALISblog

Vast Active Library and Information Science blog. From a recent library science graduate in Wellington, New Zealand. A focus on reference and current awareness tools and issues, especially free, web-based resources.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Thursday, November 18, 2004
'Music Is Not a Loaf of Bread'  
 
Over on Wired News Xeni Jardin interviews Jeff Tweedy of the wondrous Wilco. Most of the discussion is about Wilco's support for filesharing, and retells the story of how having their album available online before its official release helped their sales.

It's nothing new to me, but I'm a fan...you should definitely check out the interview (and the band). Tweedy's argument is that filesharing helps bands get heard, which helps them sell albums and concert tickets. I think he's right, as I've said before - I've spent a fair bit of money buying albums that I'd already downloaded - because I wanted to give something back to the artist....


|